Christmas Countdown 2012...

10:43 PM

50 days to go!
 
 
Today I thought I would chat about Advent Calenders.
The good old Advent Calender has been quite a popular part of the Christmas experience for quite some time. The whole excitement of counting down the days of the Christmas month to THE day - and receiving a little treat every 24 hours - is a lovely tradition.
 
The stores are filled with many different and gorgeous advent calenders that you can purchase. But the crafty world has also taken hold of the advent novelty and has come up with some fantastic festive ideas over the years.
So if you are into the handmade and self-created products - take a peek at these ideas.
Thanks to the world of Pinterest, I have pinned many lovely ideas for Christmas and, in particular, the advent calender. I have plucked out a few to showcase here with the original link!
 
The advent calender is quickly thought of as a chocolate/sweet eating countdown but these next few ideas will blow that thought out of your mind.
 
[ source ]
 
I like the idea of little numbered gifts hung from an old-style wooden coathanger. It just has a lovely vintage thrifty feel to it. And the gifts could be filled with a treat or a small little treasure to keep. Cute idea of starting the idea of gift-giving right from the beginning of the festive month I think :-)
 
 
Pinned Image
[ source ]
 
 
Pinned Image
[ source ]
 
These two advents shown above are great ideas in my opinion! Definitely up my alley for sure :-)
They are based around the idea of a daily activity written in each envelope or on the back of each card. These may include things such as 'Go out for icecream'...'Eat popcorn and a glass of milk for supper'...'make a decoration for the tree' etc etc. A good way of getting the whole family involved.
I like it.
 
Pinned Image
[ source ]
 
I am quite partial to the brown paper bag. I have used them in many different ways other then a great lunch bag - Gift wrapping, puppets for the kids, a way of relieving hiccups! Yes, you heard me. I once was told to breathe in and out of a brown paper bag to get rid of a case of the hiccups! It actually DOES work :-)
Anyway, I digress...
Brown paper bags make a great base for any crafty activity as it is a neutral colour and anything will accompany well with it! This idea of decorating the bags up with tape, stitching and pegging them along a line with a little treat or trinket inside is totally beaut and makes quite a statement don't ya reckon!?!
 
Pinned Image
[ source ]
 
This idea here is pretty grand. Why not put up your tree with basic decos and then use the month to spruce it up with a daily snazzy decoration. Such a practical yet effective and pretty idea!
 
 
And if you would like a simple yet different way of counting down the days other than a cardboard pull tab calender, this advent idea would be a lovely addition to anyone's Christmas home decor...
 
 Pinned Image
[ source ]
 
An Advent Cushion!
Like I said, simple but nice.
 
And lastly, probably one of my fave ideas...
 
Pinned Image
[ source ]
 
A Book-A-Day Advent Calender. A different Children's Christmas book is wrapped up for each day and you can sit down with your child/ren every day, unwrap the parcel, and read a book about Christmas together. Being an avid lover of books, this idea stands out big time to me. I have all ready started a stash of Christmas books as part of our Christmas tradition but I'll go into that in more depth next time :-)
 
Hope you have enjoyed this post and it's P-interesting ideas!
 
With Sprinkles of Sunshine...
 
Anna

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Lovely eye candy! I did the advent book countdown last year and it was a BIG hit! Only problem is I have more than 25 books, so Im wondering if I shouldnt forge on and get my total to 50 in the coming years so we can wrap 2 each day :o (it is widely known I am a little christmas obsessed!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am slack I usally just get one premade with little chocolates in it,,,,But not this year I am starting to work on something but I better hurry up ha ha -love dee x

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Flickr Images